Subject: Re: ScreamerNet Questions
From: joe solinsky <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 08:41:16 -0700 (PDT)

Gee, all this talk about splitting up pages makes me wonder one thing:
Does Screamer Net use Distributed Shared Memory?  My psuedo-intelligent
professor is doing some research on DSM (he loves using acronyms), and
I get the special joy of learning what he is doing so I can write programs
that reflect and benchmark his Shared Memory algorithms.  
My questions I guess go to Mr. Hastings:
If indeed there is such a thing, does ScreamerNet use a separate kernal
for all of its memory transfer and management techniques?
If someone bought ScreamerNet, would they be able to develop applications
for ScreamerNet, assuming that the kernal is documented with a purchase
license?
Because I have spent every wednesday afternoon listening to my boring
professor yak on about his wonderful project, I have picked up a lot of
what he is saying, and there is some cool optimization tricks that he
and the other researchers have come up with.  Since we are a UC school,
all the stuff we do is public knowledge, as this is publicly funded.  
That means anything I learn I can share.  Besides, there is no such thing
as a Non Disclosure Agreement at UCR.  Without boring the list with
stuff that is unappealing to even the most avid Computer Science people,
I will simply say that if ScreamerNet uses a Shared Memory Distribution
Kernal, I'd be willing to send documentation licensed to the public to
your mailing address.  I'm sick of my peers making cheesy queens rule
solvers, prime number generators, life simulators, and battleship games.
I'd like to know what Shared memory is really used for.  If I haven't missed
my guess, it is ScreamerNet.
-Joe Solinsky
University of California at Riverside
my opinions often conflict with those official to my college.  I do not
represent their interests, norms, or faculty.